Is there really a need for Menstrual Hygiene Day?
Yes. Menstrual Hygiene Day offers the opportunity to create awareness of the importance for women and girls to hygienically manage their menstruation – in privacy, safety and with dignity – wherever they are. It also is an excellent occasion to promote the great work that partners of the MH Day Alliance are doing to promote menstruation and menstrual hygiene management.
How did the idea evolve?
In May 2013, WASH United pioneered May #MENSTRAVAGANZA, a 28-day social media campaign cycle dedicated to Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM). The positive feedback we received inspired us to create Menstrual Hygiene Day in order to generate even more momentum.
Why the 28th of May?
May is the 5th month of the year, representing 5 days, or the average number of days (between 2-7) a woman or girl menstruates each month. 28 represents the average number of days in a menstrual cycle.
Can I celebrate MH Day even if I am not member of the MH Day Alliance?
Yes, MH Day can be celebrated by everyone, everywhere! Please check further here.
What happens beyond 28 May?
The MH Day Alliance is an important platform for partners to exchange knowledge and experiences and to coordinator their work on MHM all year round.
We also have a regular newsletter “Keep the flow going” that provides updates on MHM, such as new resources, events, and features MH Day Alliance partners. You can subscribe to the newsletter below.
Who is behind Menstrual Hygiene Day?
WASH United is the initiator of Menstrual Hygiene Day and acts as its International Secretariat. As the International Secretariat, WASH United coordinates MH Day and manages the MH Day Alliance of more than 380 partner organisations. This includes:
- Developing the global strategic direction of MH Day, as well as key campaign and advocacy materials;
- Managing communication between MH Day Alliance partners;
- Managing external communication, including the MH Day website, social media and serving as a focal point for media;
- Issuing the regular MHM newsletter (“Keep the flow going”);
- Supporting partners in the planning and implementation of MH Day activities;
- Promoting collaborations between partners globally and at country level;
- Reporting on MH Day activities.
WASH United’s offices India and Kenya also coordinate MH Day activities in those countries.
Who can I contact?